17 June 2013

2012 'Essential Fire' Group Exhibition at Incinerator Gallery, Melbourne









Essential Fire here represents the innate drive to create, to express self, and a reflection on what that means to us. For my contribution to the group show I have created an installation comprising of a home made telescope and an oil-on-canvas painting. 

The image of a burning monk is simultaneously awe inspiring and terrifying. I am at awe because to do such a thing as calmly and peacefully must require an incredible inner strength. I am at awe when I reflect on the human ability to sacrifice self for an ultimate higher cause. I am terrified of the human ability to sacrifice self for a higher cause, especially when one considers the events of the recent decades where we have seen this power be used to horrific ends. After all, what defines a higher cause is incredibly vulnerable to interpretation. 

The image of the burning monk represents a fascination with human mind and spirit to me, its complexities, its beauty and its pitfalls. It is my essential fire, what I burn for. Painting this image is an act of a desire to understand what it is we are made of, as is the act of constructing a scientific instrument which at once enables the viewer to observe the image and hinders it by not allowing a full scale view. And so it is,  that even as we seek to understand things we become increasingly aware of all that is yet obscured. 
(Artist Statement, Mariana Jandova, 2012)